Offering hope with a broad range of services
Agate is committed to helping every person and family have a stable place to live, with their basic human needs met. Our programs include:
- Street outreach
- Temporary and permanent housing
- Free public meals
- Free public showers
- Representative payee services
- Birth certificate and ID support
We offer a range of innovative housing programs that give hope for a better path forward:
- Rapid Re-Housing programs help families and individuals move quickly from shelter to scattered-site permanent housing.
- Permanent Supportive Housing provides long-term, scattered site housing and long-term supportive services for individuals and families, as well as long-term units for single adults at our 510 building and 61 fully furnished apartments at Park 7.
- Our Prevention programs help households maintain housing stability through a range of services, from short-term assistance to ongoing case management.
We provide emergency shelter for adults at two locations in Minneapolis. In addition to providing a safe place to sleep, we offer meals, access to showers and staff assistance to help people meet their long-term goals. In 2021, we served 408 unduplicated shelter guests.
Free public showers are made available to anyone in need. With the vast number of people taking advantage of this important service, we welcome donations of towels, soap, and other toiletries.
Free Public Meals
Many people in our city struggle with hunger and food insecurity, even those who are employed. In fact, our diners often must choose between paying for housing and other necessary expenses or buying a sustainable amount of food for themselves and their families. To address this daily situation, we offer free public meals, seven days a week in downtown Minneapolis. In 2021 alone, 70,465 meals were served at the Food Centre. The Shelf of Hope served 4,160 clients and distributed 104,000 pounds of food.
Representative Payee Services
When people need help managing their finances, we provide a representative payee to act as a receiver for Social Security Disability or Supplemental Security Income payments. These services, which are available in person, ensure that rent and utilities are paid, and that spending money is distributed on a routine basis. In 2021, 464 individuals accessed the representative payee services.
Birth certificate/ID support
We help individuals and families obtain out-of-state U.S. birth certificates.
Street Outreach works with people sleeping outside or in places unfit for human habitation. This experienced team provides on-the-spot services to ensure safety and survival for people experiencing unsheltered homelessness. They also help guests address any barriers to finding permanent housing.